Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Several November Jupiters

Ags

I've been busy this month on another project (the National Novel Writing Month challenge) so I haven't been focussing so much on sketching.

Also, as Jupiter slips away from opposition, I think it is rapidly getting beyond the point at which my little scope can resolve even the most elementary details.

In these sketches I have concentrated on the features I could make out in the NEB, which appears as a very high contrast thin line in my Mak (as opposed to the broader lower-contrast band seen in other scopes and photographically). I'm pleased I managed to make out a large spur in one sketch (confirmed photographically), and a fine division in the NEB in another.

ags-albums-misc-picture7874-nanowrimo-jupiters.jpg

Thank you for the encouraging comments. I had the scope out tonight but the seeing was average to poor. I had the idea of doing a sketch each hour, but realistically I'm too busy moving house! I'm sure I saw the GRS around 8.30 crossing the meridian.

The scope gets packed away for the move tomorrow, sadly.

Excellent drawings Ags. Definitely stick with it as long as you can. I was out this evening too in freezing fog. Managed to get a bit of detail. The GRS was just coming onto the disc at 20.30. There was however a smaller dark spot on the central meridian about that time in the STB, so maybe that is what you saw

The spot I saw seemed a bit small for the GRS, and didn't look pink enough... It makes more sense being a smaller spot, pity I missed the GRS again, but my corrector plate was icing up despite the dew shield.

Archived