NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A very rushed early morning session

Ags

My hands are still frozen from a brief look at Venus and the moon this morning. I let the dogs out at 7.00 this morning and saw something that had to be Venus - it had just cleared a line of trees. I couldn't resist the temptation, so I quickly set up the telescope.

Venus is very well defined right now - a large disc with a very clear crescent. It's also quite high up so the image is stable. Really pleased I got the telescope out - although I should have dressed more warmly... Pajamas are not enough!

I had a look at the moon too, I still can't name any of the features.

At 8.25 I managed to spot Venus after sunrise - my first daytime spotting of a planet.

Dawn sky this morning was stunning. Fantastic colours, venus blazing and the lovely crescent moon.

Unfortunately the seeing was really poor down here, so the telescopic views were very below par.

I was out in thermals, ski jacket, scarf, hat and gloves....still froze! wow that's brave with just Pyjamas.

Ags, totally agree regarding the sky this morning. Took my dog out around 6.14, reason I'm giving you the presice time is the Moon was right on my Meridian so I checked the time, a truly amazing Venus was on view to my east! Only an observation by eye but they both looked outstanding, factor in the freezing wind, the dramatic colors of the clouds rolling in made it all the more impressive.:)

Alan

Tomorrow morning (02 December 2010) the Moon, Venus and Spica are within 10 degrees of each other around 06:00. Should be a pretty picture. Saturn is within another 10 degrees of the group.

Archived