NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

on a dob, would 2 inches make much diff?

Yup. I have the same advice: don't get a large scope if you won't be able to transport it to dark skies.

6 to 10" scopes are usually the same length even if they are the longer Dobs.

12" scopes are a lot larger (unless you get ultraportables like the ones in this thread on another forum).

16" scopes are larger still unless you build your own ultracompact, and the largest size you can usually still set up on your own (18" scopes can also be set up on your own but basically only if you design the car, ramps, wheelbarrows etc. around the scope rather than the reverse).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great link Sixela - but unfortunately all "double dutch" to me. I am however familiar with Sumerians scopes as he has posted pics on SGL in the past, and they appear to be very nicely made ultra portable scopes.

English is the preferred language on SGL so perhaps links to English written sites is a better idea and would be more help to OP :D

Great link Sixela - but unfortunately all "double dutch" to me.

I was providing the link merely for the pictures that are on the last pages; they say more than a thousand words. I have permission to repost them, so these are the most important images (the first picture is only missing the trusses, and these can be split in two on this scope so that they're shorter than the box; the last picture is missing the light shield opposite the focuser).

The point I'm trying to make is that some 12" scopes are extremely portable, so much so that you can carry them over your shoulder or take them on a plane as hand luggage.

So even if you can't transport a tube 12" Dob, some 12" truss Dobs might be portable.

post-22037-133877507932_thumb.jpg

post-22037-133877507937_thumb.jpg

post-22037-133877507944_thumb.jpg

Like I think I've said, I just want enough aperture to know what I'm looking at and not be to bulky to occasionally travel to my brothers house near the beach or camping. 10" seems to be big enough for my purposes.

Archived