Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help Identifying Jupiter moons

Diego

Hello guys,

Im here fideling with my cousins 4.5" reflector. I have for sure found Jupiter. Although still mostly a bright dot i can definately see at least one reddish band. Im also noticing that there are 3 tiny dots on either side of it... Looks somthing like this (the -O- being Jupiter)

. . O .

Im just curious to know if these are its moons or if its just my cousins years of unused telescope wear messing witht he optics causing these smaller dots. I know jupiter has many moons but i find it odd that they (including jupiter) form an almost perfectly straight line. I thought the moons would be scattered around it more. Thanks for any insight :)

Hi Diego

I would say you have found Jupiter there are four Moons that you should be able to see,To find out what there names and to know what ones you are seeing down load

Stellarium and it's free

well done

Doug

Essex

Seeing as the view from a reflector scope is upside down and back to front (i think) that would give you

. . O . as being Callisto Ganymede JUPITER Europa,with Io being hidden by Jupiter last night (viewing from Miama)

Was fun using stellarium from a diff location to normal

heh Yea, I got stellarium too now! This program is GOLD! I zoomed in on Jupiter and was like "holy smoke", my hypthesis was correct" LoL. Really appreciate your willingness to help by changing your stellarium coordinates dude :)

Archived