Starting from the beginning

So, i am truly the ultimate new comer. I have loved the night sky and space since i was little. I am of age where i can begin to appreciate and afford this hobby. to start off im looking for a good list of books to get me started. something to teach me the position and names of consolations and planets. Hopefully i could get a few suggestion on some telescopes that are fairly simple. Id like nothing more than to see the planets and galaxies with my own eye. So far images on the internet have sated this desire, but times change and the next step is to view them through a telescope. can anyone please give me some helpful tips and advice?

Thanks much :)

Hi Doctor - welcome to SGL :)

Turn Left at Orion is a good book to get going with. Shows you how to find stuff using a small telescope around 3"-4" aperture.

As a first scope I would suggest a newtonian (mirror based) scope maybe a 130P or 150P from Skywatcher - this would complement the book nicely and only depends on available budget (bigger aperture tends to be better). Here's a link:

Reflectors

Plenty there to choose from on either equatorial mounts or dobsonian mounts. Also - download "Stellarium" - it's free planetaria software - very useful to illustrate movements of the sky at your location in real time.

Hope you enjoy the forum and the hobby ;)

Hello and welcome Doctor,

The Moon observer's Guide by Peter Grego is a great introduction to our nearest neighbour.

For general astronomy books, I'd suggest raiding your local library first. That way you can try lost of different books with no outlay.

Anything at all that is by or edited by SPM (Sir Patrick Moore) is a must and a safe bet.

... to start off im looking for a good list of books to get me started. something to teach me the position and names of consolations and planets.

One thing about books - I've always found it difficult to relate the pictures in them with what I can actually see in the night sky. Part of that is down to the relative brightness of the stars and part is the sheer scale of things in the sky. What I'd suggest is a planisphere (ranges in price from £5 to over £20), a reclining chair, a flask of coffee and some warm clothes.

Failing that, if you don't want to wait for one of the few clear nights at this time of year is a free software package called Stellarium which gives photo-realistic views of the sky. All from the warmth, comfort and socail viewing hours of your own computer :) You don't get the full impact of the size of constellations, but it's a good place to start and a fair substitute for the real thing.

I use The Monthly Sky Guide. For each month there is a fairly detailed description and diagram of a constellation that is high in the sky and prominent. Also a general map of the sky for the relevant month.

The latest offering has a moon map at the front so you can study that also.

The latest one has Cygnus on the front.

As with others it list meteor showers by month and other events.

Best thing to pick out the constellations is your eyes. They are too big for most instruments. If the constellation shows a cluster in it, or close, then use everyday binoculars to see if you can pick it out.

Hi and welcome from me :)

Its worth getting a monthly magazine to help familiarise yourself with various aspects of the hobby. Sky at Night is a good one for beginners.

Download Stellarium as well which is great fun.

The rest - well hang out here and you will get to pick the best brains in the hobby - well if you discount me you do anyway ;)

Archived