Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simple instructions for my 13 year old son

bcfcciderhead

Hi guys, my son dont live with me but has asked if he can use my scope, after a lot of worry i said yes (it's my baby...the scope that is) i dont think he could follow the manual that came with it and wants to use the goto on it ( i did say the supatrak handset only), he has shown a big intrest in my hobby and that makes me happy so thought he should learn.

What i have done is wrote a quick instruction sheet out for him, i would just like you guys to have a look at it and say if its ok or not, or have i missed something.

Thanks for your time.:)

Oh he will use the skyscout to find his stars for alignment

GOTO SETUP.doc

Is someone going to help him move the thing and adjust the legs etc? Wouldn't want it to fall over.

You might want to provide him with a website link that he can get his precise location from, the SkyScout doesn't give it all that precisely.

Explain what mm/dd/yyyy means, or does he know that already? At 13 I think I would forget!

For alignment, how about telling him two bright stars that you know he knows (or can easily find using the Sky Scout) and should be able to see from his location, and that you know will give good alignment results?

Otherwise looks good.

Dave a couple of suggestions:

- Makes sure he levels the 'Tripod' not the mount as this might be confusing.

- Daylight saving is ON if when he uses it on a date that falls between March to November (If using it in December you're ok)

- Make sure he uses the 25mm eyepiece during alignment then the 10mm to centre the star once he's found it (using the 10mm to find AND align might take him all night :):D

As an additional, could let him know how to adjust the slewing speed (Button 2 then choose from 0-9) again it might be dawn before he aligns his first star.;)

Hope you don't mind the suggestions as its always the little stuff that gets in the way - hope he enjoys it!

James

Thanks for the comments guys, he's been with me a few times when we have used it and seems ok'ish with the basic's, the tripod has a built in level in one of the legs, and i always give him that job, so ok with that, daylight saving is ok as it's only for this week till saturday when i get him, he should be ok with the date, i told him enough times lol, he should be ok with the tripod being stable, i told him to make it level and make sure the little tray is in place before the scope goes on to ensure the legs are fully locked in place, as for the stars, he's ok with vega and polaris, good point with using the 25mm ep to align, i always take control with ep's so he would be aware of that, if i give him the location of his garden via google earth would that be ok? i use it and seems ok.

Thanks again....thought i'l forget something

if i give him the location of his garden via google earth would that be ok? i use it and seems ok.

Thanks again....thought i'l forget something

I use Lat - Long Finder: This page helps you find Latitude and Longitude to find my location. There is a little flashing pixel in the middle of the map which when centred on your location it gives you the info you need for your handset.

Brett

Archived