SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn in sunny, dark Turkey

CH

As you may see from my introductory post, I'm new to this.

Yesterday my first scope arrived ( a meade 105) to 'cut my teeth' so to speak. Anyway an experienced friend was helping (something I recommend to newbies), we went up to the terrace on the roof at about 11.30 a lovely clear night so we searched around a bit and found it easily and clearly. The thing that surprised me was how quick the planet rose in the sky and how quickly it can move across your field of view. Fantastic to see for the first time, so of course we spent hours looking at the planet. Two of it's moons could also be seen. Then we found various 'M' objects which I haven't learnt about yet.

Tonight or rather tomorrow a.m I'll be able to see Mercury according to this wonderful piece of software I've got called starry night, here is hoping .

Just to say that on that observing session we got to see a crescent moon, Saturn, M31, M32, M42 & M45 (messier objects CH) and also an open double cluster I cant remember the name of. A good session from the terrace of CH's mansion along with some very cold efes beer. Got a look at the sun during the daytime but for the first time, I have seen, had no sunspots what so ever. Also got to watch 2 old guys fishing and check out a car that had a for sale notice on it which was a couple of km away.

Archived