NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Visual/Bins

Nexus 6

I have put up this little report, my 1st, hope its ok.

Having had a look outside around 4.00am this morning I decided to grab my 10x50’s and had a look at the excellent sky on show. I had checked on Stellarium and noticed Saturn rising so wanted to have a glimpse. The seeing this morning was pretty good and other nice views were obtained of M44, the beehive looked sticking naked eye, proving how good conditions were. M42, M45 also stood out well. An hour or so later it was time to take the dog out. Here in Barton I am lucky enough to live right on the edge of the countryside 1 minute from my house takes you down a farm track going south, it’s also slightly hilly, there is very little light polution heading south here but I do have Scunthorpe off to the west and the oil refinery's at Killigholme to the east and with Hull north you do have lp. After 5 mins or so I was greeted with an outstanding Venus, it really took my breath away!. I have seen it many times before but I was truley amazed by its sheer brightness, by now the light from the rising sun was beginning to take effect and the cold! It was time to head home. Cosmo my dog agreed it was quite

a spectacular morning. (only after a few treats!)

Only a pretty basic report I no, but I hope to add more detailed one's in the future, I really enjoy reading others that forum users put up!

Alan

Glad you enjoyed your early morning stroll Alan :)

I had my first light with my new 10x50 bins last night. Was amazed at just how much extra detail I could see with them. Can't wait to get to a dark shy though. Living in the heart of Southampton, it isn't the best sky in the world and coupled with the moon - seeing was difficult for me. Only managed to see a few really bright DSO's.

I've never looked at Saturn or Venus before with optics at all. Can you actually see the phases of Venus and Saturns rings through binoculars?

Spectra486,

Tough call living with all that LP! It is definitely worthwhile going to a darker location, will really help you pick out some DSO’s. Yes, as Lux 1 says, you can see the phase in Venus with bins. Try Jupiter and you will catch some its moons.

Clear skies

Alan

Archived