Power to telescope & Imaging

I have just inherited a SkyWatcher Explorer 200 with an HEQ5 mount. I am just upgrading this with SynScan and am interested to know what is the best power supply for this set up, ie transformer/power tank options but as a complete novice I dont know the best practical option. Certainly seems alkaline battery choice as per current set up is not an option ?

My longer term aim is also to capture some images but my camera knowledge experience to date is taking a picture of the kids with a basic digital camera to a chorus of cheese !

Any guidance/help much appreciated.

If you're using it at home and can access 240V...get a 12V 5A transformer and suitable connector from Maplins.

You could add a car step up transformer 12V to 15V to get a bit more Ooph!

If you need batteries I recommend the 20Ah gel cell (golf buggy/ mobility cart) with a good triple stage charger - they will outlast a powerpack 3:1 guaranteed!!

I have just inherited a SkyWatcher Explorer 200 with an HEQ5 mount

Lucky you!. Alkaline are not suitable for the Synscan motors as you have suspected. Most people go for either a large capacity deep cycle leisure battery or a jump-start battery. If you a using your mount near a mains supply you could use a psu like this one 12vDC 5amp output

Peter

Archived