NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are my Binoculars fine? Or could I go stronger?

Hi Manok,

10x50's are fine for observing with, most people on the forum would say they are the standard you should stick to for hand held bino observing. Once you go for a larger pair you need to think about mounting them on a tripod as they get more difficult to hold steady due to their weight.

Alan

I think that 'brighter' is better than 'stronger'. I currently have 10 x 50 but I'm going to get a 8 x 80 - less magnification, better light gathering.

Wow, that's an exit pupil of 10mm !

Isn't some of that light going to be wasted because of the max size of your eye's dilated pupil :)

Wow, that's an exit pupil of 10mm !

Isn't some of that light going to be wasted because of the max size of your eye's dilated pupil :)

Yep, they reckon that an exit pupil of around 5mm is what you want, but it does depend on ones age, if you are young your eyes can take more, older less, but not much less than 5mm I believe.

Archived