Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Safety issue or not? Mains power & dew problems

I saw it highlighted in an earlier thread safety concerns about people using mains power outside to power their scopes etc, and the problem with dew and water forming over time on their power sources. Obviously electricity and water don't mix.

I regularly use an extension cable outside to plug my 12V adapter (for the scope) and laptop into - and have to admit that at the end of the observing session the multisocket on the mains extension cable is often absolutely dripping with water from the dew that has formed. It never crossed my mind before that there may be a serious safety issue here.

What do others think? Would a standard RCB power breaker be necessary to give sufficient protection or am I worrying unnecessarily?

An RCD power breaker won't give sufficient protection although it might stop you killing yourself.

I'm going to pick up a weatherproof box this weekend from B&Q, which contains an extension lead and a power breaker and is suitable for running mains outdoors for Christmas lights.

Archived