NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 350d mod questions?

pvaz

I had a 350d with fungus on the sensor (!!!).

Actually I cleaned it today. I used a tutorial on moding a camera for astro photography to learn how to reach the sensor. Then put it back together and its working fine now. However I already have a few cameras and was thinking about moding this one and start with some widefield photos.

So I seen sites saying you can simply remove the original filter or replace it with a baader IR filter. What are the advantages to have a baader filter replacement vs the filter removal option?

I would like to keep this as low cost as possible as I don't plan to take the imaging thing very seriously for now. I'm just curious about it.

A few hours ago I did, unfortunately I deleted them.

It looked like a black tree root growing on a corner of the image. It was semi-transparent but very noticeable against a light background, such as a white wall or the sky.

It was on a closet for 3 months now as I never had a full afternoon free for the procedure. Finally got around to it and it's working fine now.

Hi Paulo,

As I understand it.....

Filter removal = full spectrum but lose auto focus.

Clear glass = full spectrum retain auto focus.

IR block = Spectrum upto S11 and Ha but not IR retain auto focus.

Auto focus comes in with camera lenses. If you never use them it doesn't matter.

If using clear glass you can use another IR blocker in the system.

Dave.

The Baader filter eliminates the problems with IR wavelength light, whilst passing Ha wavelengths through.

What exactly is "the problem with IR wavelength light". Does DSO imaging need to have the IR cut out as well? Or can I just grab the subs, without a filter, put them on DSS and expect a "normal" result?

I wasn't very careful about it.. I sprayed baader optical fluid all over the sensor to make sure it all died, let it be for 15min then used the baader cloth to clean it dry. Then left it under a lamp to dry for about 1 hour then reassembled the camera.

At 1st the only thing malfunctioning was the builtin flash. I had to reopen to make sure all connectors ware well placed, then the flash started working again.

Archived