Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Dual Speed Crayford

Has anyone bought one of these Skywatcher - Dual-speed Crayford 1.25/2 inch focuser for Skywatcher Explorer or know anything about them As I've got some questions?

Is the knurled ring under the EP with the set screw in it really where the EP goes like on the photo? Only it looks like the ring on my single speed where you attach the 2" or 1.25" adaptor that sticks up another inch or so.

If it is the EP holder, is it compression ring? (Would hope they thought of that on a dual speed crayford)

Do they just come in white?

Is the collimatible base section, where it meets the focuser body, the same dimensions as the single speed focusers? My base is very firmly fixed to my tube so just being able to remove it at this point (i.e. where the square base meet the round section) and swap in the new one would be an advantage.

I realise there's an old thread in the sponsors section but it's a bit old to resurrect and a bit unwieldy.

Thanks

Good questions Haitch I'm probably going to go with a duel speed but there dosen't look much of an upgrade to be had from this model. I imagine it is the same spec as the stock focuser in every detail but the duel speed. The standard model has a retrofit duel speed you can buy seperate and just swap over. From memory these are £60 -£70 so if you intend to go with the model over the low profile duel speed it could work out the cheaper option.

More info on the low profile can be found on http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/75572-skywatcher-dual-speed-2-low-profile-crayford-focuser.html

I know this dosen't really answer your question but at least you know the low profile has compression rings.

Hi

Finally found the bolt on duel speed. Only took like 30mins of trailing though IE history Accessories @ Modern Astronomy Scroll some way down the page. £59

Would save you £40

Ooh... that could be a goer. Thanks. I would have liked to reduce the focuser height a little too by not having to use the 2" adaptor on my current one but the £40 saving might be the deciding factor.

Archived