Which Adaptor

Just bought a t-ring for my DSLR camera and I now find out I also need an t-adaptor.

As my skywatcher 200P has a 1.25/2" focuser, is there any advantage to getting a 2" adaptor or should I get the 1.25" one?

My EP's and Barlow are 1.25" if that makes a difference.

I also now realise that I could mount the t-ring on the barlow

but what if I don't wish the 2X increase?.

Sorry if this is a really basic question but I'm completely new to astronomy and just finding my way.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

NWJ

Hi Jose - the adaptor will allow you to use 2" ep's which give you wider views of the larger objects at low power magnification.

I use both 1.25" and 2" for different purposes and find that the quality of the ep is more important.

The T-ring attaches to your camera and a variety of t-adaptors are available depending on what you are hooking up to it. E.g. you may want to hook up an eyepiece, or possibly a reducer, or flattener etc. You do need to think about your purpose and type of imaging first.

See this thread for some possible combinations:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/118675-dslr-magnifications.html

(towards the bottom)

If you have the standard Skywatcher Barlow then you can unscrew the lens off the end so it just acts as a T-1.25" adaptor.

You can also unscrew the 1.25" EP barrel from the focuser to expose a mail T thread. Screw your camera T ring direct to this. This is probably your best bet in terms of having enough in travel available to reach focus.

is there any advantage to getting a 2" adaptor or should I get the 1.25" one?

NWJ

Yes, there is. Becuase youre letting in more light, there will be less vignetting in your images.

If the adapters you got with your 200P are anything like I got with my 150P then you should be able to unscrew the 1.25" eyepiece holder to reveal the built in T-adapter. The skywatcher stock barlow you get with their scopes also comes with a built in t-adapter, if you dont want to use 2X, just unscrew the lens from the barlow.

The best solution however is probably the MaxDSLR adapter, no need for t-rings and it comes with a 2" filter thread (something you dont get with the stock skywatcher stuff).

You've probably got 2 ways of connecting your camera with the equipment you already have.

Removing the 1.25" EP barrel is your best bet as the smaller aperture barlow approach will give a lot of vignetting.

However, at least you can have a play.

Have fun.

Archived