Synscan or not synscan?

According to SW site the 12" tube weights 21kg. There's no info for the base but I would guess about the same as the tube. The 10" weights 15kg for the tube and 12.5kg for the base.

Synscan tracks and locates objects for you. I fancy the tracking part and the GOTO may be handy if you live under light polluted skies or have limited observing time. It will however need a bit of setup time and a power supply. With my experience and conditions (backyard with dark skies) if I had to choose between aperture and synscan I would go for aperture. But that's a choice you need to make based on your conditions.

Thanks Pvaz,

Unfortunately, I live in a city location but within reach of some reasonably dark skies. I would guess I would do most of my observing from my garden but hopefully the scope would be light enough to move it to some darker areas.

Simon

Your post doesn't explain why you are considering these two options, as they are different sized scopes which operate in different ways. So its tricky to offer advice. What appears to put some off from dobs is the need to keep nudging the tube especially at high magnifications, so motor tracking might be an important consideration. Your knowledge of the sky might not be good, so the GOTO would be a good aid to understanding where the objects are. What I would say is don't go for the synscan if you are thinking about astrophotography. You'll be able to video planets which takes very short exposures but an alt-azimuth mount is not suitable for longer exposures unless its on a wedge - which I don't think is available for this type of set.

James

The link is above my comment Simon.

I was surprised how tall the base is on the 10 inch around 30 inches (base just over 20 inches diameter). Fits in my hatchback boot ok with the OTA going across back seat. You think the weight is not much on paper until you start manoeuvring things into cars etc.

I think the one question you have to ask yourself is how long you expect your observing time to be, if you are able to go for a whole night, or at least a good few hours, giving you time to learn the sky then synscan is more a luxury.

However if you have a limited time (a few hours here and there) + adding the unpredictability of the glorious english weather, synscan will allow you to see a lot more in a short period of time.

Ap wise, bigger is generaly considered better, but only if you can find what you were looking for :eek:

And with your weight consideration and possible need to transport aperture cant be the sole consideration - in fact it might be entorely secondary to the need to transport the kit.

10" you will transport will show you a lot more than 12" which you never use.

Hi Cyborg - even with Synscan you still need to know what you want to look at so you can tell the "goto" where to go to. And the Skywatcher motors do add to the weight of a big dob.

That said - it is a joy to have a big dob tracking for you and going where you want it to go. If weight is an issue - the 10" will probably be better for you. But if you're happy not to have Synscan then the larger aperture without motors is preferable and shouldn't be too much extra to handle. Try to see some for real and do a test lift.

Hope that helps :eek:

May I add: When I faced the same choice I went for an 8" because I wanted something lighter that I could setup fast. Now I feel like taking the next step, when funds allow, and get a 14 or 16" but still keep my 8" for quicker sessions as it's grab-and-go enough for me.

What I'm trying to say is: If you feel it will be too heavy then go for a smaller model you will actually use often. Also, taking under consideration the condition of your sky from your backyard, synscan seams a good idea as it can be very hard to find things, when you can only see a few naked eye stars and you'll benefit from tracking when doing planetary observation.

cyborg, I have the 12" Synscan SW dob. The base with motors, weighs around 20 kg, I assume. Enough that I have to carry the dob outside in two rounds. :-)

I don't know how familiar you are with star hopping, but I would say definiately go for the Synscan version. Aligning it is a breeze - I heard the Synscan controller was a bit more difficult to use than Celestron's GOTO controller, but I find the dob is much easier and quicker to align than my older Explorer 150PL on a CG5 equatorial mount.

Plus, the 'guided tour' is phenomenal just to familiarize yourself with the scope and the sky.

Well Cyborg - the Messiers were there since before man walked on the Earth - I think they'll be there tomorrow night but who knows - anything can happen lol :eek:

I have both the Synscan and the Celestron goto handsets. I find them both as easy with very similar features. However - I do think the Celestron is a little more intuitive and user friendy - but otherwise both very similar :)

Archived