NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing place question

Aussie

hey guys, I feel this is the best place to ask this question. I'm considering building a fenced off area in my front garden.

1. its cold, but the cold doesn't bother me, its the wind that really bugs me, I could easily deal with the cold if it wasn't windy.

2. I can't afford to build an observatory.

3. The viewing is a lot better in the front garden, much more sky exposed

I'm considering putting 2 fence panels in a corner style shape in my garden so I can set up my telescope behind it seems to be the perfect plan to solve the wind problem (the wind always goes the same way where I live). The fence will only be about 6 foot high which is fine for me as I am 6 Foot 3" and my telescope is always set up high.

Has anyone done this before just to stop the wind?

Does this seem to be a good idea or is it just me?

And are there any problems anyone can see arising that I've missed?

Or just anything else to add?

Please help before I just jump in there and do something without thinking :eek:

Sounds good to me. I sometimes do something similar, by setting up my scope in

a corner of my garden, with a fence on one side, a shed on another side, there are

dense bushes on the 3rd side, and I have a temporary plywood panel to block light

on the 4th side. The warning in post #2 is relevant - guess how I found that out !!

You could put up some temp washing lines or similar, to check that the permanant

fence panels will block lights but not the sky.

Best regards, Ed.

not really Break, I'm not wanting to do anything too permanent. But after talking with the misses she points out wind breaker's, what people use at the beach etc. I feel rather stupid for not thinking of this before. I know there a bit flimsy but ah well, the thing that was putting me off about the fence is the deco doesn't go with my local area.

Already ordered the wind breaker so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Archived