NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ota /Tube

ponytale

hi all diy'ers, i have come across a product called composite aluminium panel , it is a sandwich of ali polyethelene and ali about 3mm thick very light and strong comes in various colours and 1200x 2400 mm sheets from what i see on the web it can be rolled or folded , i had a sample sent to me and i did a simple fold by scoring one side and bending in between timber battens it came out very nicely rounded radius at 60 degrees , i am thinking of using it to make an ota possibly hex or octagonal , as it is thermally insulated between inner and outer skins it may resist dewing up on the inside if a fan is used ?

what do you think ?

has anyone tried it?

link below

cheers Tony

Alupanel Overview

Hi Tony

Sorry I've not tried this material but it certainly sounds interesting.

I've made a few hexagonal tubes over the years using very thin plywood, so the challenges will probably be similar. You may have seen my post a few days ago "DIY telescope tube......". If not, you may be interested.

I've put a series of images on my blog (link below) which showed the construction of the hex tube, which may also give you some ideas.

Look forward to seeing some images if you decide to take the plunge!

Good luck.

Kev

Archived