NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Help Please!

Hello,

I got my HEQ5 delivered today, and set it up, mounting my Startravel 150.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working correctly. The DEC motors seem to get stuck between the telescope positioned parallel to one of the mount legs and then moving it do point down about 10 degrees. You can hear the motors working but it just doesn't move it. I have balanced the telescope as well as possible.

Any clues?

Thank you.

Well, for example. If I have the telescope parallel to the floor, and try to elevate it to point upwards (over a fence say), then the telescope will slew upwards about 10/20 degrees, and then stop, as if the motors are so week, then cannot move it any further. Similarly, it has trouble moving it down past a certain level.

It stops at these same levels regardless of the balance of the telescope.

Glad you solved it! By the way - you need a "regulated power supply" to run the mount at 13.8v (12v batteries are 13,8v when fully charged!!). Or a battery - ideally a leisure battery (as in caravans and boats), or you can get away with a "12v power pack" - again Maplins sell them at around £20.

The clutches were off :) I've done that before!

The next thing to note is that the HEQ5 needs a nice strong and consistent power supply. If you experience any wierdness in the future check the red power LED. If it's flashing, the voltage supply is dropping (i.e. your battery capacity is running low).

Archived