Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon error message 99 ?

I seem to be regularly getting an error message on my Canon 1000d after taking an exposure: err99-Shooting is not possible/turn power on/off or re-install battery. No image is stored, but taking the battery in/out solves the problem for 1-2 shots then it returns.

Anybody come across this before?

I had that a few years back on my old 350d and it was a malfunction in a lens. Replacing the lens solved it for me.

However, as you can see in the link from Psicobilly, Err 99 is the default error the camera shows whenever it can't determine the cause. In other words it can be anything and your only sollution is to debug it yourself.

If you strongly suspect dew caused it, then you may want to try this: Remove the caps and open all compartments accessible (card, battery, connectors). Close it in a small storage room and leave a dehumidifier on, in the room, for at least 24 hours.

Here I often get eletronic equipment problems from the humidity and that usually solves it.

Yes, its a strange one. I've tried a new lens, new SD card, and batteries. I suppose my existing batteries could be duff, so I'm going to get another one to try before it goes back to Canon for repair. When I use the camera on the scope I remove the lens and battery and insert the dummy battery/mains adapter.

Used normally, when I get the error I find that just opening and closing the battery door will clear the error then I can take photos normally. If I let the camera auto power off, the error returns on the next photo (!???).

I suspect the error is either battery related, or something associated with use on the scope, ie mains unit insertion, lens removal, or cold/dew.

Will update if I find out anything more.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this error. The repair man says their diagnostics has indicated the camera needs a new main board. It gives no indication of what caused the fault, and there are no obvious signs of damage. The repair + service is expensive, a bit gutting as its a big chunk towards a new camera. But I suppose its got to be done otherwise its useless as a normal camera.

I can only think something to do with using it on the scope caused the problem, eg dew, cold, long exposures, or some combination. Maybe put it in bag next time to keep the condensation out.

Archived