NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tracking options for 200p

• 2 weeks later...

There is the Equatorial Platform for Dobs. I am thinking about getting one but the only UK supplier is asking for £499 which is a bit steep for me so I am going to build one but the most difficult bit is getting the motor tracking to be precise at 2.97mm'isg rpm.

There is a kit in the USA which works out at £138 plus international delivery. I have not contacted them yet.

Which one Sean? theres a kit maker in America that used to have a pretty poor reputation a few years back.

The kit, well the only kit I have found so far is http://home.netcom.com/~tlsystem/cablet4.htm

And this is for all the electonincs and stuff, you just need the wood and cut the segment wedge yourself.

The maker I believe with the the bad reputation is called north star systems at least this was the view of an SGL user in 2009 http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/81025-equatorial-platforms.html#post1407859

Round Table had an excellent reputation but I think they no longer exist, well their website now hosts a typical cyber squatter page.

To be honest all I need (as there are general plans our there) is the electronics bit. ie The motor and tracking gear. Knowing which ones to buy here in the UK is much better. I know some users who obviously have electronic knowledge salvage bits out of hard disk driver and printers etc to build with but I am a complete electronics novice.

I have found some 2rpm 12vdc motors so a bit of gearing would get near the 2.97rpm but again it's then down to the finer art of tweaking to make it perfect.

I just want some simple tracking for 30min-60min for webcam astrophotography for my Dob.

On Astroboot they have RA motors but I do not know what rpm they are but I am still a few months off getting my Obsy sorted out and the get my rebuilt dob out for "first light".

Archived