Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

some more first attempts at sketching Jupiter

Ags

I made a couple more sketches of Jupiter on 19 and 21 Oct (my 2nd and 3rd sketches). I tried an experiment of putting more dark sky around the sketch using charcoal, so they would look better in my sketch book. On the 21st I tried to add in Io and Europa, but I don't think my charcoal sky is black enough to show the moons effectively - I obviously need to work on my technique!

All sketches done using my 100mm Mak. I tried to only include details I glimpsed at least twice. On the 21st the GRS was visible, but it refused to look like an oval!

ags-albums-misc-picture7362-jupiter-19-oct-2010-22-30-uk-150x.jpg

ags-albums-misc-picture7363-jupiter-21-oct-2010-21-00-uk-150x-220x.jpg

Ags

I really like those!

Your'e starting to develope a lovely style with good tonal variety and some fine detail.

I think the larger amount of dark sky really helps with the sense that this is a record of what you saw through the eyepiece, instead of just focussing in on Jupiter's disc; it seems to make it more real to me!

well done!

Thank you - those are very encouraging words!

I'm really enjoying sketching, it makes time spent in front of the eyepiece much more valuable. I keep a notebook of my observing sessions, but words cannot describe the subtleties seen through the eyepiece in the way a sketch can.

I'm still finding it very difficult to make sense of what I see. Sometimes I am too busy trying to figure out how dark a feature is to realize it is colored!

Getting a bit obsessed. This morning I was watching the moon from the bus and sketching it in my mind.

To compound my problems I am developing a slight case of aperture fever now...

There is nothing quite as rewarding as making a drawing of your observations, I am glad you are finding such enjoyment in it.

It can be really confusing to try and get the features you see embedded into your mind well enough to them transfer them to paper without forgetting them while you are sketching. I find it frustrating how long it can take to do sometimes.

Observing a LOT can help with the overwhelming amount on display, you start to recognise the same features over again and the brain can make sense of them much easier second, third forth time around.

Another thing you can do to help is to study recent webcam images of the subject before you go out so you know what you are trying to spot. You gotta be strict with yourself though and not draw something you know you should be able to see, but you have only maybe glimpsed it with a bit of averted imagination!

Excellent drawings, very accurate and about all you will see in a 4" scope when Jupiter is only 33' high.

Try to draw a moon transit next - the shadow of the moon really stands out. You will be amazed just how fast these transits are.

I use Winjupos (free) to give accurate GRS and Moon transit times.

Archived