Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Obvious way to improve my (video) imaging?

Macavity

On a fairly strict budget, and unlikely to get deeply into imaging, I was pleased with a first VIDEO camera effort: M37 :(

But it has set me wondering... What might be the next logical upgrade to improve the image quality? I sense the "weakest link" must surely be the scope used here - My (albeit laudable) Startravel ST102 F5 achromat? But before I contemplate buying a small APO to match or better this...

Am a right in assuming ALL F5 scopes are equivalent in (video) imaging re. the revealing of faint stars? Thus (say) a 80/90mm F5/F6 APO would still suffice? Would this match up to some... 2" arc per (8.5 micron) pixel "optimal limit"(??) of my (Watec Video) camera?

P.S. The last question might involve some completely wrong

assumptions (random waffle!) re. imaging, arc seconds, pixel

size etc. etc. Be gentle with me?

:)

Video is best suited for planets. For DSO's a second hand dslr is what you want. You don't need a lens (body only) and a model from a few years ago will be okay. You then just need a t-ring adapter to fit your scope.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Heheh. OK, fair enough. :(

In truth, I'd still like to improve on the VIDEO idea (investment). If possible, I'd rather not get into camera bodies, lengthy exposure times, offline processing etc. - Not to mention I'm never going to want to mess (physically) with an HEQ5/6 etc. I still have this wacky idea that video imaging is my personal way to go... :)

I am GUESSING that much of the poor definition of the stars is due to an achromatic scope, (known) "rough" optics, poor focussing (focesser) etc. Or perhaps just looking for an excuse to buy that small APO. :)

There really is no way to get around 'lengthly exposure times' when you're taking pictures of faint objects. A video camera, by it's very nature takes lots of short exposure pictures very quickly. Exactly the opposite of what you need. Also to take long exposures you also have to start messing around with tracking mounts too!

Putting that all aside, you can use video, as you've demonstrated with your M37 image. A fast small APO will help you produce better star images, more quickly, but that video camera is still going to limit you..

Anyway you don't need an excuse, just buy one! You can't go wrong with more scopes! :-)

Archived