Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Simple Solar Filter

Astrokev

This is an effective and simple to make filter for attaching to telephoto camera lenses. I doubt it will win any prizes for innovative design, but may inspire others who are wondering how best to make something similar.

The filter material is Baader solar film. As can probably be seen from the pics, the film is sandwiched between 2 squares of corrugated card with a hole cut in the centre. The diameter of the hole is slightly smaller than the lens hood (by a few mm only), so that the cardboard acts as a "stop" and prevents the lens hood touching the solar film.

To attach this to the camera lens, I found a thick piece of polystyrene that was lying around in the attic (used to safely secure a new TV in it's packaging box). I cut a square to match the film sandwich, then cut a central hole to match the lens hood diameter, to form a collar that slides snugly over the lens hood. The card/film sandwich was then centred and stuck to the polystyrene collar.

The collar and film sandwich were all covered with strong plastic packing tape before final assembly. This forms a light, strong and robust final assembly.

A further addition was a second thinner collar that I attached to the opposite side of the film sandwich, that has a slightly wider diameter to fit over a bigger zoom lens that I sometimes use. The whole filter is therefore reversible, depending on which lens I want to use.

For storage, I covered 2 squares of cardboard with the same packing tape and simply attach these to the filter with elastic bands.

Simple, and seems to work a treat.

An alternative design when you don't have any empty Coffee pots to hand!

Kev

post-19542-133877495464_thumb.jpg

post-19542-13387749547_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877495475_thumb.jpg

post-19542-133877495481_thumb.jpg

Genius. Protecting the film from damage when its stored is one of my concerns but you've come up with a simple solution. I ended up adopting an old shoe box for my pie tin filter and padded it with thick foam.

Archived