Making an off axis solar filter

stev74

I've had some Baader Astro Solar Film lying around for ages and I finally decided to make a filter cell for it. I thought I would post the results on here in case anyone else wanted to give it a go. :(

It was amazing to observe Sunspots for the first time, although it was a bit strange being out with the scope in daylight for all to see and not be under the cover of darkness. I'm sure the neighbours already think I'm a bit strange any, wondering around the dark bits of the garden, looking up at night. :)

OK It seems I can only copy the text into the thread and not the pictures so I've attached it as a PDF. So if anyone knows how I can copy it into the thread with the pictures INCLUDED please let me know as not everyone as Adobe on there PC.

Feel free to comment about the guide and please - FOLLOW ALL THE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS IN THE GUIDE AND ON THE BAADER SOLAR FILTER WEBSITE.

Solar Filter Tutorial.pdf

Thanks for putting the Solar filter tutorial pdf together Steve.

I am going to order a sheet of Baader astro solar film and give it a go on my SW200P. :(

Great for those clear days but cloudy nights :)

Wayne

No problem Wayne, I'm glad someone has found it useful. :)

I think it would also work well on bino's you could just make a pair, and if you increased the depth of the strips on the back of the cell to say 50mm or more it would fit nicely around the end of a refractor. :(

Good stuff Wayne, now don't do what I did and stick the solar film in a cupboard for 6 months before you do anything with it. If you get a chance, it'd be nice to see a picture of the finished article. :)

Hopefully I'll have some clear skies over the weekend and get back out for some more solar observing.

Good stuff Wayne, now don't do what I did and stick the solar film in a cupboard for 6 months before you do anything with it. If you get a chance, it'd be nice to see a picture of the finished article. :D

Hopefully I'll have some clear skies over the weekend and get back out for some more solar observing.

Going to make one this weekend :mad:

I will post a picture of the finished item.

If the skies are clear :)

I will post an image of my first solar view, via a phillips SPC900 webcam.

Wayne

All finished Steve,:D

Its a very tight fit ,but I might still add a bit of tape when viewing.

I even made a box to store it in (to protect the film and keep the dust off):D

Now to wait for a clear day to try it out.:mad:

Thanks again for the 'How to make' PDF......:)

Wayne

That looks great Wayne, I like the way you finished the edge on the front cell!! :)

I hope you enjoy the views once the skies clear, I'd be really interested in how you get on with your SPC900 for taking images. I've recently got one on the SPC880's which is now flashed so hopefully I can have a go at Sunspot imaging at some point. :mad:

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne,

Sorry just noticed your post - that's a great first attempt at solar imaging, I'd be very pleased with that. :)

I'm picking up a second hand laptop at the weekend, which will be for webcam imaging, so I'll soon be able to try out my SPC880. If I get anywhere close to your first attempt I'll be happy.

Thanks for the update and the link you put to this thread. :D

Cheers

• 6 months later...

Feel free to comment about the guide -

I'm sure I've seen this guide published elsewhere on the web. I presume this is not completely of your own design therefore (unless it was you who published it elsewhere of course :) ? !

No matter, good to encourage folks to make their own filter!

• 4 years later...

Simpler and faster. ..cut a square, tape it to the inside of the telescope cover instead of fitting a makeshift card board filter on the outside. It's flat, involves four pieces of tape, and doesn't wear as bad over time since it's normally protected on both sides. 

36 minutes ago, aflong2005 said:

Simpler and faster. ..cut a square, tape it to the inside of the telescope cover instead of fitting a makeshift card board filter on the outside. It's flat, involves four pieces of tape, and doesn't wear as bad over time since it's normally protected on both sides. 

Steve's method is practical for a wide range of instruments including binoculars, refractors and SCTs/Maks, you just need to adjust the dimensions.

I'm not sure I would trust my eyesight to four pieces of tape when the film could drop off at any time; covering the aperture from the front/top seems far more secure to me.

Welcome to the forum by the way.....

Archived