Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telrad finder set up???

Hi everyone

I wanted advice from people who have Telrad finders and dobsonians.

This may seem a stupid question but where would be the best place to stick the telrad ??? I see from some pictures that people have removed the 9x50 and replaced it with the telrad. Others have moved the 9x50 back and again placed the telrad where the finder was.

I know we are all different heights etc but what have members found to be the (less pain in the neck) place to put the finder. BTW I do plan on getting a right angle 9x50 when funds allow.

Also I take it they only work one way around ???? as I have seen pics with them on back to front :)

You could temporarily tape it to the tube to check where is best for you.

Usually the best place is near the upper end of the tube.

Some retain the optical finder to use in conjunction with the Telrad, others

just have the Telrad on its own.

It only works one way round !

Regards, Ed.

Try moving it around with double-sided tape until you get a location that doesn't interfere with your movement of the focuser or finder. I put my RDF betweem the finder and the focuser. I have a 7x50 RA finder on my Newt, and you really need the RDF to get yourself into the right area, as the RA finder doesn't point to the sky as intuitively as a straight through finder.

I have placed mine next to the existing finder, straight through one unfortunately, and kept both. My eventual aim is to replace the finder with a RACI model so no neck straining, and use the telrad to get me in the right area to begin star hopping with the finderscope. I have trouble getting to a bright starter star with a RA alone.

Post #6. You could fill the holes with short nuts & bolts, or cover by gluing

some plastic screw head covers, either would make a neat job.

I use an RDF only on my 10" Dob, and put in a low power wide field eyepiece

to find objects. Works for me.

Best regards, Ed.

Post #6. You could fill the holes with short nuts & bolts, or cover by gluing

some plastic screw head covers, either would make a neat job.

I use an RDF only on my 10" Dob, and put in a low power wide field eyepiece

to find objects. Works for me.

Best regards, Ed.

Sound like a plan. Thanks guys

BTW when would a power finder be necessary or can you pretty much find everything with a RDF

This is where I put mine. As for the holes that are left by moving things about on your OTA, you can leave them alone as they do no harm, cover them up with sticky aluminium from the auto body section of the DIY, or occasionally blow gently across them to produce a deep, sonorous and aethereal sound that will unite you with the cosmos. :)

post-12776-133877494265_thumb.jpg

I would probably advise you to keep the 9x50 finder. Although you will eventually have a low power eyepiece, the FOV will only be at most 1/2 of the finder. The view will be orientated differently and there be a load more stars to be confused by when star hopping. This could be a pain when you have make large leaps between stars IMO.

Post #10. People differ in what works for them. The largest scope in my club

is a 20" Dob. The owner uses a Telrad plus an optical finder. A lot of DSOs are

visible directly in the optical finder, this does mean that he doesn't have to start

off with a low power ep if he doesn't want to.

We also have a club owned scope, a 16" Dob. It has no optical finder, but uses

a Telrad plus digital setting circles, gives a dim red readout on a panel near the

focuser. They both work well.

But for me, as I've said, I just use an RDF to get me close, with a low power

wide field in the focuser.

It's a matter of finding what works for you best.

Best regards, Ed.

Hello spaceboy. I got my telrad just over a week ago and set it up as shown in the picture you posted. I use that to get me in the right area (by standing in the passenger side as it were) and then moving over to the driver side to fine tune with the finder. I also plan to up grade to a RACI finder soonish!

One other thing I think you will find you need is a dew shield for your telrad. It mists up very quickly. I found this link to DIY...

Home Built Astronomy - Telrad Dew Shield

I have not built one yet so do not how good it is but it looks ok and is cheap! :)

Hello spaceboy. I got my telrad just over a week ago and set it up as shown in the picture you posted. I use that to get me in the right area (by standing in the passenger side as it were) and then moving over to the driver side to fine tune with the finder. I also plan to up grade to a RACI finder soonish!

One other thing I think you will find you need is a dew shield for your telrad. It mists up very quickly. I found this link to DIY...

Home Built Astronomy - Telrad Dew Shield

I have not built one yet so do not how good it is but it looks ok and is cheap! :)

I was lucky enough to pick up my telrad with a dewshield but that DIY jobby looks great. I have seen this foam sheet in Dunelms for a couple of quid. A nice cheap fix to a common problem. :)

Archived