NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6 RA Scale binding...?

Hi guys, has anyone else had this problem? I get the scope all levelled and set my home position with the RA and DEC scales set to zero but have noticed that when the mount moves along the RA axis the scale doesn't rotate!

This is only when the mount is being moved by the motors. When it is rotated with the clutches loosened the scale moves fine.

Weird eh!

I'd like to sort this out as it makes life difficult if you have to reset to home due to a loss of comma or power outage to mount.

Any thoughts appreciate.

Michael

Maybe I'm just being too heavy handed in tightening them?

I didn't use them either to begin with, but I've started getting quite a few drops of comms with the mount in eqascom and so thought an easy way to reset to home would be handy.

If you want to mark the parked position, I just use a black marker pen and draw a line so that I can just match the lines up. That way the scales are still available if you ever want to use them for the purpose they were intended......

It's been a long time since I have looked at setting circles, but I am pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work.

If you point the scope at say Alkaid and then set the setting circles to Alkaids position (RA, 13h 47m and DEC +49 15' 32.2") if you leave the mount tracking for two hours the scope will have moved quite a bit ( only in RA) but it is still pointing at Alkaid and so the Ra and DEC should still read RA, 13h 47m and DEC +49 15' 32.2".

If the RA scale moved with the motors the setting circles would be giving a false reading after the motors have moved.

The setting circles are to be used to move from one point of the sky to another with the clutches disengaged. The setting circles do not work when you use goto/motors to move around the sky.

Mike.

Archived