opinions on Skywatcher Dobsonian 10"

Hello everyone.

I am on the look for a telescope. The one in the title seems to be the best value for money one, at least here in Greece.

I would appreciate any opinion given on this one, as well as any suggestions for things that need to be improved out of the box in order to save time and possible frustration.:D

10" is a great size to start with and Skywatcher are very good scopes at a very reasonable cost. Depending on your personal preferences you may want to get a red dot finder or a right angled finder with it. You may need to smooth the motion in alt and or az depending on how well it's put together but that's nothing new. And you will definitely need to learn how to collimate it and/or get a collimation tool - all dob users do that.

It would be a smashing buy but depending on your budget you might consider getting the same thing for around 65% of the new price on the "used" market. That would leave cash for inevitable extras.

Hope that helps :D

I love my 10" dob!!!!

You'll not regret it. For it me it's probably at the limit of my carrying in and out of the house size to weight ratio. I would need a nice garden shed and a nice dark garden to go bigger. I suppose the fact you're in Greece means the second hand market may be difficult. All the best.

Brian

Thanks guys for your replies. I consider it to be a sound choice. I have been also looking on the 200/1000 with the eq5 mount but the price rises steeply and here in Greece is about 1100 Euros.. that is about 1540 USD.. quite pricey although it looks more easy to move around etc..

I am at loss at this point.

Archived