Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY5 and ST80 settings

I'm trying to use this combination for guiding a NEQ6 PRo mount but I just can't see any stars to guide on.

Can users of this setup give me some ideas on the gain and shutter speed that are typically used.

I've sorted out the focus now by adding an extension tube to get the camera further back and it will happily focus on Jupiter and its moons but when I wander off to target something else like M31 I just cannot locate a star to use for guiding.

I spent a good 20+ minutes last night trying to guide on a hot pixel !! :D

Firstly, cap the ST80, and use the PHD take darks option. When I did my double cluster image the other night I used 1 second exposures. I've not changed any settings except for the calibration step in the brain. The default doesn't move the mount far enough with an ST80, you need to up it. I use 3000.

Hi Photosbykev,

Yes when I set up PHD go into camera,select Ascom v5 then

the Ascom chooser comes up and select QHY5 cmos and click ok.

Thats it done.

HTH

John

Thanks for the confirmation John, that's how I'm connecting the camera at the moment.

I think I need to spend a session doing nothing but the guiding setup and testing it.

Archived