red lights of death?

Ok, i posted a thread monday about my mount, skywatcher supatrak, when sunday night after about 15mins use i had the "set & "go" buttons flashing and nothing working, you all came back with what i thought it was, low power/flat battery.

No problem i'l get new batteries, and i also ordered a power lead to plug in the car via cigar socket (which took a day from FLP:icon_salut:), so pluged it in to my power tank (which is charged) and still flashing:icon_scratch:, ok try the new batteries, still the same:mad:.

Now have not a clue what to do, on the hand unit i have the "guide 1" button on red and the "set" & "go" buttons flashing and nothing else working....SOMEONE HELP ME...CLEAR SKIES TONIGHT:(

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah the guide/1 button stays lit red and the 2 cruise buttons (set/go) flash, thats all that happens, looked on google and some have had a fault with the handset, a comms problem between handset and mount

Has it been working OK before? When did this first start? I used it only a few times but I did play around with the mount a lot and didn't notice anything. Let me go and have a search around to see if I can come up with any helpful info.

Anyone else with a SupaTrak mount got any ideas??? It would be mucho appreciated!

I really don't have a clue. The only thing I've found is someone's blog who had a similar problem with some lights flashing and it turned out they needed a new handset. However, I'm unsure if this is the problem as I really don't understand why it worked for me (and you at first) and now all of a sudden it doesn't, this is strange! I wish I knew more so I could help you...

I'm sure one of the good folks here who use a SupaTrak/GOTO mount with more experience than me will chime in soon. Sorry I can't be of more help :D

I really don't have a clue. The only thing I've found is someone's blog who had a similar problem with some lights flashing and it turned out they needed a new handset. However, I'm unsure if this is the problem

sounds like the link i posted earlier

I really don't have a clue. The only thing I've found is someone's blog who had a similar problem with some lights flashing and it turned out they needed a new handset. However, I'm unsure if this is the problem

sounds like the link i posted earlier

I didn't see that at first *doh* but yes, that's the one.

its a bit like that but as well as the 2 flashing i have 1 stuck on red.

Thanks for your help in this Sirius i guess its just one of those things, and to think it worked great the first night i had it and i got on really well with it, found it great to use, i do believe it cant be that much wrong with it, never dropped etc treated better then the kids!

its a bit like that but as well as the 2 flashing i have 1 stuck on red.

Thanks for your help in this Sirius i guess its just one of those things, and to think it worked great the first night i had it and i got on really well with it, found it great to use, i do believe it cant be that much wrong with it, never dropped etc treated better then the kids!

Not a problem! I just feel blumming awful now :D I can assure you whole heartedly though that I wouldn't sell something that doesn't work (unless of course it was stated beforehand) and the buyer knew about it and still agreed to have it. However, this was working fine. I had problems with the OTA but that was my fault anyway (I dropped the secondary mirror and chipped it whilst collimating). I sold that on to another member on here who knew about this and has sorted it. If you look back on my posts though you'll see I've mentioned problems with the OTA but nothing to do with the mount/handset not working. God, I do feel bad. I just don't want you to think I've sold you something that doesn't work. I so hope you get this sorted. I'm keeping everything I've got crossed for you.

Dont worry Sirius i dont think for 1 min you sold a faulty mount, like i said its one of those things plus it worked great when it came.

I just bought on of those handsets for a tenner, not much to spend if it puts it right, if not just sell it on.

Thanks for the help you two

Ok - need to be sure that we know what's going on here. This handset has a variety of modes wich are mostly indicated by flashing leds. When it's operational (ie tracking) one or more leds will flash indicating the rate. Of course - tracking rates are imperceptible to the human eye as they're so slow.

The stars take all night to cross the sky - but to see the changing positions you have to stand outside watching for several hours. This is the same for your mount. Unfortunately this leaves newcomers puzzled as nothing seems to be happening when they set a rate (even though the mount is tracking normally).

Firstly - If there's a comms error - all the leds will light up and flash continuously. Does this happen when you power up?

Note - all leds will light up when you enter a command successfully - but go off when you release the buttons.

thats where i looked first, but came across a skywatcher 200p with extras,mount the lot for £130, in scotland but with p+p still a bargin, got to stop going on these sites it will break me.

Yeah bought it from Astro Boot, just hope there quicker to get this to me then the chesire collimator i ordered 4 weeks ago, waiting for new stock.

Ok - need to be sure that we know what's going on here. This handset has a variety of modes wich are mostly indicated by flashing leds. When it's operational (ie tracking) one or more leds will flash indicating the rate. Of course - tracking rates are imperceptible to the human eye as they're so slow.

The stars take all night to cross the sky - but to see the changing positions you have to stand outside watching for several hours. This is the same for your mount. Unfortunately this leaves newcomers puzzled as nothing seems to be happening when they set a rate (even tough the mount is tracking normally).

Firstly - If there's a comms error - all the leds will light up and flash continuously. Does this happen when you power up?

Note - all leds will light up when you enter a command successfully - but go of when you release the buttons.

I understand about the tracking side of it and that you wont see it move, when i power up i get the "GUIDE/1" button lite red all the time, and the "SET" & "GO" buttons flashing red, this is all it does and nothing else works.

Have new battery and also a power tank and even tried the car cigar socket but just the same, which makes me think comms problem

thats where i looked first, but came across a skywatcher 200p with extras,mount the lot for £130, in scotland but with p+p still a bargin, got to stop going on these sites it will break me.

Yeah bought it from Astro Boot, just hope there quicker to get this to me then the chesire collimator i ordered 4 weeks ago, waiting for new stock.

You didn't? :D Mind you, a 200P + mount and extras for £130 has to be the bargain of the century. Wow, that is what you call a deal. I don't think I could of said no to that either :)

I hope Astro Boot gets it to you quickly! Keep pestering them until they do :p

Hmmm.... ok try pressing set and go together then release. The scope should start moving to six different positions and pause for 5 secs at each.

(to stop it just press the two together again and release)

nope nothing, tried all combinations and nothing the lights still flash when the buttons are held down and the guide button will not go out no matter what you do

You didn't? :D Mind you, a 200P + mount and extras for £130 has to be the bargain of the century. Wow, that is what you call a deal. I don't think I could of said no to that either :)

I hope Astro Boot gets it to you quickly! Keep pestering them until they do :p

No i didn't, but sooo tempted and its payday friday;), not sure how old the ad is must be gone by now...think i'l mail him, if he still got it maybe knock him down to £100

If that didn't work - try pressing 1 and 2 together and release. It should leave one of the top three lights (1,2,3) flashing steadilly. This toggles tracking on/off. If you dont have a single flashing light, try it again pressing 1 and 2 together and release. Is a single light flashing now?

My final thought is to try any single arrow key. If the scope doesn't move at all when you hold an arrow key down then it seems either the h/c is none functional, or there's something wrong with the power.

Archived