Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hartley 103P and Cepheus DSO objects

Mark at Beaufort

Last night was again clear so I made the decision to track down Comet Hartley 103P. I used the details in my StarryNight Pro 5 and printed a location map with FOV for finderscope and 26mm Nagler in the Dod. Comet easy to find using Gamma Persei as a starting point.

The Comet was diffused but I could not detect any tail. Very clear in the 10".

Next I decided to continue with Herschel 400 objects viewing those in Cepheus. Following Steve O'Meare's book started with a large and bright open cluster NGC 6939 - this is a lovely cluster. Very nearby is the spiral galaxy NGC6946 - it appears as a ghostly image which might be difficult in light polluted skies. However, In the 26mm Nagler I could get both NGC6939 and NGC 6946 in the same FOV. What a lovely site.

Then over to another cluster NGC7160 - bright - lovely cluster in my 13mm Ethos. This cluster contains about 60 members. Should be good in 15x70 binos.

Final cluster before the clouds came over was NGC 7142. Large and dim and I think you need a dark site to appreciate this cluster. Fairly easy to find and I obtained the best view with the 13mm Ethos helped by averted viewing.

Good viewing again even though the clouds came too quick in the end.

Mark

Archived