Polar alignment stuff

Hi guys

Quickie on polar alignment (work of the devil) and more specifically getting the polar scope reticule aligned with the mount (EQ5 in my case). I've tried polar aligning without doing this, and it doesn't work (for imaging)!

I'm following these excellent instructions:

Astro Babys HEQ5 Polar Alignment

and it mentions that when aligning the reticule it is best to do it indoors and set the mount to zero elevation. My mount won't go anywhere near zero elevation. Best I can get is around 20 degrees.

Is that normal, or is my mount playing silly buggers?

Doug

If you set up your mount so that the centre of the polar scope is pointing at a fixed point (I used a bit of paper stuck to a wall with a dot drawn on it) and then spin the RA axis through 180 degrees, it should stay centred if properly aligned. I was lucky - mine was aligned perfectly from the factory. If yours is, you can skip "aligning the reticule" and go straight to the next page.

It's easier to use bits of paper stuck on walls if you can get down to zero degrees elevation - otherwise you'll have to pick something else to use as a target (like Polaris - or any other star - and do it in the dark).

As has been said it doesn't need to be horizontal but the more distant an object the better - a street lamp will do. I do check against polaris though once I've done the "daylight" check.

Also i've found that using a collimation cap over the polar scope "eyepiece" improves the alignment accuracy by reducing the angle at which you look through the scope. It becomes obvious then if the target moves at all.

Hope it helps. :(

Archived