Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

White spot in the NEB?

stev74

I'm out at the moment observing Jupiter and I'm getting some nice views of the GRS but I've also noticed a white spot in the NEB near the left hand side of the planet through my newt.

Is anyone else seeing it or is it just my eyes playing tricks? :(

Cheers

OK I think I may have answered my own question - usually when I look at the NEB it looks quite straight along the edge across the whole length of the planet.

Tonight the seeing seems to be very steady and the more I've looked the more the NEB doesn't look straight along the edges. I can see depressions along the top and bottom edges, with one depression looking bigger than the rest going acrooss the top edge and moving from left to right (my white spot). While the GRS has been moving right to left, it's been a great night seeing two distinct features moving in opposite directions across the surface of Jupiter.

Jupiter never fails to surprise and was looking more like one of the great sketches by Paul G. Able than I've ever seen before. :(

Hi Lance,

did you see the large depression on the southern edge directly above the grs 'below the grs in your scope', very prominent.

Yes that was the 'white spot', as it moved further into the middle of the planet on the Southern edge of the NEB I could see it was a large depression. It was amazing to watch it pass below (in my scope) the GRS, going in opposite directions over 90mins or so.

Sadly the clouds have rolled in now but it's been a great night with 6 DSO's bagged as well. :(

Cheers

I've seen that white spot / oval at the edge of the NEB a few times over the past couple of months, it seems to be a semi-permanent feature at the moment. It provides a bit of interest when the GRS is on the other side of the planet, which it often seems to be when I'm viewing :D

Archived