Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PacMan chasing ghosts in HaLRGB

Catanonia

Well probably the best night yet in my imaging time with crystal clear moonless skies from 8pm till dawn.

So after a strip down from the widefield setup, I configured the trusted Skywatcher ED120 Diamond black refractor and pointed it at the Pacman nebula.

I was surpirsed how much extra Nebula has come out of the image and I can actually see loads more than a Pacman, there is definately a face in there :(

The resulting images is HaLRGB with

1.5 hours per LRGB channel in 8 minute subs

2.5 hours for Ha 8nm in 10 minute subs

Giving a grand total of 8.5 hours.

Combined with DSS, MaximDL and CS5,

Imaged on the QHY9 (-30 degrees) with off axis guiding QHY5 / PHD / EQ6 Pro mount from Sandbach Cheshire.

Flats per channel added with bias and darks.

Hopefully I have managed to get the nebula and star colours without going too pink with the Ha. I used the Red / Ha combined with lighten layer method to do this.

I hope you like it.

NGC 281.jpg

Now that's your best pic to date Steve. Looks like you've really caught the bug :(

It would be interesting to see how you got on processing this with the stars on a separate layer, or using a star mask, to bring out the fainter stuff and yet leave the stars untouched, the bright stars dominate the view a little bit perhaps.

The colour of the nebula looks good, loads of detail in there.

Thanks mate. I didn't use a star mask as I haven't got around to working that one out. Any tutorials you know of that can help.

MartinB's excellent tutorial did the trick for me!

Very nice image by the way, I love the detail around the bottom of the nebula; TJ is right, the nebula will stand out much better with the stars reduced a little bit.

Archived