Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meteor showers?

For the last three nights I have been observing meteors radiating from an area below Andromeda. I can't be quite sure what meteor shower they belong to and I am certain they aren't sporadics due to the number of them coming from the same part of sky. Has anyone got any ideas?

I observed a few this morning including a large one in this area although more towards Taurus and the Pleiades making them Taurids which your observations probably were. You can also see a few Orionids starting around this time further East in Orion.

Paul

Doing a bit more research, I am leaning to towards the October Arietids Autumn Arietids

The radiant of the meteors seems to come from that sort of area below Andromeda which makes sense, as does the ZHR of 3-5 p/h.

Could be, as with all things meteor more observations are the key. Unless the meteor is coming directly at me and hence will have a very short tail and observed duration, I find it difficult to gauge the radiant. Gauging the radiant of those that move across in front of you can be misleading due to perspective and the ablation zone.

A good rule of thumb is seeing them start within at least 10 degrees of where they should is a good way to identify them. Its good to research observing them and I am learning new stuff every night.

Paul

Archived