PC's and Amateur Stargazing

Reading this forum is fascinating!

It is amazing the amount of information I need but don't have! :(

As an arrant newbie trying to learn a very complex subject, please be patient with my very uneducated questions.

I've noticed that PCs can prove very useful in this pursuit. Long sessions on cold nights mean that regular laptop batteries won't last throughout; therefore the need for a PowerTank or a roll-your-own (yes, I've been reading the DIY section of Equipment) power supply.

Now I foresee the need for a large cart to transport everything needed for a night's viewing. Let's see:

case for 'scope, eyepieces, etc.; tripod, mount, PC, power source, chair(s), table, toolbox, . . .

That got me thinking about size of gear which led to netbook versus laptop computer, which is where this question is going. I have a little-used, small capacity ASUS netbook running Linux. Is it lunacy to think that a very small computer (RAM, speed, storage - all rather small) might possibly run the software needed for this hobby? Is there a thread for computer and software discussions? (Still getting acclimated.)

Yes. The cart is very much ahead of the horse, but I'm suffering from the neo's universe of unanswered questions and unfettered ideas.

TIA

I'm running stellarium on a samsung Q210, 2 G DDR2, 5 hour battery pack 7200 mah, frame rates into the 45+ profile set to battery not performance, its not been in the field but dont see that lowering battery life infact may last longer if it's not running the cooler fan! must admit its only been running in simulation mode just so i could get used to it's functions.

i see the linux links when i downloaded and i'm sure your aware Linux uses a lot less CPU than windows. the upgrade battery for an Eeepc upto 10000mah are availble!

just the sizes of the screens that puts me of them!

Not Linux but I use a netbook to run two imaging CCD cameras (one guiiding), a planetarium for the mount etc without difficulty.

However, i do not agree with many on the forum who feel that computers with red screens turned down low do not affect night vision. I can only say that that they do affect mine! In visual astronomy I use only paper charts.

Olly

First saw Stellarium on a netbook running Linux so it is fine on one.

A book takes even less power.:( Sometimes I think it is getting too technical. Scope, mount, warm coat, 3 eyepieces.

I am waiting for the first newcomer to introduce themselves with the words that they do astronomy but don't have or intend to own a scope. Software like Stellarium etc will show them all they need to know about the stars and heavens. So why stand outside or sit around hoping that the persistant clouds will clear. :(:evil6::(:evil6::p

I started out with Stellarium a couple of weeks ago. I quickly realised that there's nothing like actually getting outside and having a look, so I dug out my dads old bins and had a go.

I do still use Stellarium as it's excellent for helping me find my way around the sky. I also use TUBA.

Computer programs are great, but a bit inconvenient for me as my main PC is upstairs in the front bedroom, (which meant I had to keep running in and out of the house to find what I'm looking for, but I've started making hand drawn star maps to help me until I can get a printer) and my laptop was a 10 year old Linux machine that struggled opening web pages, let alone running Stellarium (0.452 fps anyone?). I think it was all too much for the poor thing as it gave up the ghost yesterday.

I've been tempted by the netbooks a few times and may still get one. However, as I do imaging, I find the bigger screen of a laptop a distinct advantage when checking subs or focusing. The netbooks are certainly more portable but if you think you might get in to imaging in the future then my recommendation would be a fairly basic new laptop. (As it's used outside I wouldn;t recommend an expensive one) The basic models are now powerful enough to run all the astronomy software I've needed to.

Is it lunacy to think that a very small computer (RAM, speed, storage - all rather small) might possibly run the software needed for this hobby?
No, not at all. Unless you run something like Stellarium (already mentioned) which wants to do realistic rendering in real time, the requirements are not that onerous.

A basic star charting program doesn't really have much to do except update it's "point and line" star positions every few seconds. 'Scope control also only does work when you ask it to move the telescope. You didn't mention photography or cameras - but even then, focussing and previewing images are short operations and neither needs that much power.

The first laptop I used "in the field" was a 300MHz 192MB device running W2K. It was fine for doing all of the above and no doubt would be eminently suitable, still. The most desirable feature of a PC used for astronomy are a large screen size, serial and parallel ports and a red film to put over the screen to dim it down so you don't lose your night vision.

Archived