Advice for a Starter Telescope.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh - you seem to have misunderstood me.

The specific telescope you have highlighted is mounted on an EQ1 type mount.

The EQ1 is notoriously wobbly.

That was the specific point I was making.

Ah (sound of penny dropping)! I totally agree. Good point well made :( It's a very wobbly one!

P.S. I agree with your point about crowds - even small ones. :(

As I (probably) mentioned before, for a budget telescope, there's really, really very little point looking at anything outside of the Sky-Watcher and Celestron ranges.

They have a scope for every budget, and they are the best value whilst still providing a working-quality telescope.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,just spotted a Celestron PowerSeeker 50AZ at Asda for £44.99

Or Lidl has an Optus 70 telescope for £65

I have decided not to spend a lot as i worry he will get bored after 5 mins,at least this way i will not have spent much if he gets bored quickly.

Any views on these 2 budget models?

If you buy an extremely cheap telescope with limited capabilities, you can guarantee that he will be bored after 5 mins. Remember that a better-quality one could last a lifetime and dipped in-and-out of as a hobby even as an adult. He doesn't have to extract the full value of the purchase in the first month! :)

A very cheap one will be used once, then tossed into the back of the cupboard and forgotten or thrown away.

Cheap scopes from ebay or high st stores really are a false economy, and you run the risk of being put off astronomy forever. A proper budget telescope however can be a sound investment, turn you into an eternal devotee to the hobby, and give a lot of entertainment straight away.

You simply won't get much brand new for under £130. I'd recommend a Skywatcher 130P (or 150P if budget allows) as a very good entry level starter scope. If you lose interest then you can allways sell it via an astronomy forum (eg here) for around 2/3rds the new price.

It'll give very reasonable and pleasing views of most astro objects within it's range, is easilly upgradeable (motors, ep's, barlow, etc), and is enough to generate a sustainable interest for young and old alike (possible exception - wives lol).

You may be able to get one of these in "very good" to "excellent" condition for around the £100 mark second hand so long as you buy from another astronomer.

Even that would be better than a brand new fifty quid Liddl or e-bay scope, which frankly anyone would struggle with.

Hope that helps :)

Cheap scopes from ebay or high st stores really are a false economy, and you run the risk of being put off astronomy forever. A proper budget telescope however can be a sound investment, turn you into an eternal devotee to the hobby, and give a lot of entertainment straight away.

You simply won't get much brand new for under £130. I'd recommend a Skywatcher 130P (or 150P if budget allows) as a very good entry level starter scope. If you lose interest then you can allways sell it via an astronomy forum (eg here) for around 2/3rds the new price.

It'll give very reasonable and pleasing views of most astro objects within it's range, is easilly upgradeable (motors, ep's, barlow, etc), and is enough to generate a sustainable interest for young and old alike (possible exception - wives lol).

You may be able to get one of these in "very good" to "excellent" condition for around the £100 mark second hand so long as you buy from another astronomer.

Even that would be better than a brand new fifty quid Liddl or e-bay scope, which frankly anyone would struggle with.

Hope that helps :)

Well,thats it then i will have to take a chance on spending a little more on the scope.

I`m quite happy he has added this to his XMas list,plus Wonders of the Universe book...oh and an IPod touch :(

And now hes talking about studying Physics at University:confused::):confused:

He can`t even be bothered to do his homework most days,but nice he has this interest and is`nt hanging around street corners.

Once i`m allowed i will have a look on the For Sale threads here,at least i will most likely get whats needed for my son,Thanks again.

If you buy an extremely cheap telescope with limited capabilities, you can guarantee that he will be bored after 5 mins. Remember that a better-quality one could last a lifetime and dipped in-and-out of as a hobby even as an adult. He doesn't have to extract the full value of the purchase in the first month! :)

A very cheap one will be used once, then tossed into the back of the cupboard and forgotten or thrown away.

Yes,thats what i`m worried about,thanks for the advice.:(

French - you currently have 24 posts to your credit - you need 50 posts to see the for sale section. So welcome a few people in the welcome section, if you can answer any beginner questions in the help section that too will count, and you can go view some images in the imaging section and pass comment (read other posts you'll get the gist lol). You'll soon be up to 50 :)

French - you currently have 24 posts to your credit - you need 50 posts to see the for sale section. So welcome a few people in the welcome section, if you can answer any beginner questions in the help section that too will count, and you can go view some images in the imaging section and pass comment (read other posts you'll get the gist lol). You'll soon be up to 50 :)

Thanks again.

I reckon this'll beat a Lidl Bresser scope any day:

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Heritage 76 Mini Dobsonian

I know it's small but the aperture on this is still the same as your typical cheapy Tasco type supermarket scope, the optics will also be better quality. :)

This and the Celestron version are cracking little telescopes (my 6 year old has one). That said there are issues

(1) The supplied eyepieces are not good Ramsdens and Huygens. It makes a difference on an f/4.

(2) The little telescope means that you need a table to perch it on

that said it's easy to use, and is a major step forward from a typical 60-70 mm refractor.

Archived