Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using the iPad overseas -not on 3G!!!!

Merlin66

I've tried all the service providers in the UK to get 3G capability in Europe for my wife's ipad (She only gives me the easy problems to solve!)

Well every one of them initially stated "buy my mini Sim - it will work anywhere in Europe" - real answer .....NONE of them work!!

The problem is with the telephone regulators who demand that a SMS message be sent to the user to advise him/her that you are now on their service...unfortunately this cannot be received by an ipad (iphones are OK) so - no service.

The only solution I've found so far is to buy a "local" mini sim card in the city/ country you visit and use it while you are there...this doesn't work for my wife who travels weekly to different parts of Europe. I figured she would have to buy 7 or 8 sims to gve coverage and swap them over every night when she got back to the hotel!!

No prizes for guessing what she said to that!!!

If she's lucky (50% of the time) the hotels have WIFI but unfortunately not all have it.

So, ipad's may be great but not so good for O'seas travel.

(BTW she's in the US this week and guess what...she can't buy a US mini sim....she doesn't have a US residential address!!!!)

ken

No - there's nothing wrong the the iPad - it works very well on 3G - the relationship with the current telephone regulators requirement of SMS response is the problem. I see on the Apple "complains" forums that they are trying to get an email message response as being equally acceptable - but no action as yet....

Archived