Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

jupiter last night

essex sky

first clear night for a while.

and rather good seeing, observed jupiter with my 200mm sct at 225x from 2130 local time .

the grs had just passed transit and was a very prominent salmon pink colour. lots of detail along the southern edge of the neb.

and many fainter dusky bands visible in the temperate zones.

all in all a very nice view . but very dewey had the heaters on both the corrector and the eyepeice. the corrector was suffering despite the 400mm long dew shield:mad:.

clear slies

lance

You did better than i, Lance. :o

I'm six hours behind you (Wisconsin, USA) and missed the GRS but tried to get some views of Jupiter with the 16"LB. In short, the view was absolutely awful. The seeing was boiling, and poor Jupiter looked like it was at the bottom of a swift-flowing brook. No dew, though. :)

I saw the grs too last night. i thought it was very clear and like you say, salmon pink in colour. You are right about the dew, was a nightmare last night but worth getting the hairdryer out as the seeing was quite good.

yes it was a damp one.

but usually this does mean a steady atmosphere and good seeing

if you can combat the dew.

its not often that my corrector plate gets dewed up usually the dew shield is enough. its my e/p's that suffer the most especially when you breathe on them, which happens with me when i look through the finder. as i am left eye dominant.

p.s forgot to mention also got uranus as well, which is easy to find

just to the upper left of jupiter 'both are visible in a finders field of view' a tiny but distinct blue disc at 200-300x.

lance

Archived