SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Some of the sun - not my usual bag, help please:)

Tim

I struck lucky at Kelling heath this year and ended up pitched next to a fellow astronomer for the whole two weeks.

Not only that, the guy, who was very pleasant, had an amazing solar viewing setup, which consisted of a double stacked 90mm etalon, through a 2inch BF, courtesy of a Tak Sky90, and to top it all off, binoviewers at the business end. I spend quite some time going from solar rig to solar rig at star parties, and have looked through some very tasty kit indeed, but the view through this system was absolutely gob smackingly awesome. Just breathtaking, the best view I have seen by far.

I went back to my humble PST and plonked my SX H9 camera on to grab this photo, as a reminder of what I had seen. I dont really know what is what with solar imaging, and so feedback, tips and pointers much appreciated :o

Cheers

post-14037-133877488492_thumb.jpg

That is quite good! Better than perhaps you are giving yourself credit for. The focus is decent, the etalon looks reasonably tuned. Perhaps a bit over sharpened but the details are enhanced. One of the better images off an un-modded PST I have seen. What did you use to focus? That is usually toughest when first starting out.

Thanks Sherri. Yes, focussing IS tricky isn't it :(

On the tiff file the few prominences stand out too, something which I had to use a separate exposure for with a borrowed DMK21 last time I tried. I suppose with a bit of effort I could layer those and bring them into the pic too.

I have my PST-2" nosepiece now, Vixen 80 Frac, PST, just need a few more bits and quids to get the conversion done.

Tim

Archived