Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter last night

geoff_k

Jove looked OK visually but with the exception of this image, results were disappointing.

ATIK webcam with IR filter, 4 x Imagemate, 250mm Newtonian and 20fps which was the nearest I could get to anything resembling steady. I am going to have to drink vast quantities of alcohol before my next session to equalise the effects of the seeing!

Same image but the first was post-processed in my old copy of Paint Shop Pro and the second in a combination of that and Photoshop.

post-13129-13387748818_thumb.jpg

post-13129-133877488183_thumb.jpg

Hmmm, it's amazing how fast the eye is ... I have comparative AVIs shot at 1/30 sec and 1/60 sec from last night which I'm processing, doesn't seem to be a lot in it because of the extra noise in the 1/60 sec images (pushing the gain way up) ... in any case I was sufferring from wind vibration too. But I must say that I'm getting considerably more detail in the processed images than I could see at the scope with the Mk 1 eyeball.

The only thing that helps when the seeing is poor is reducing the image scale (because that lets you shoot shorter exposures without introducing loads of noise). Makes focusing easier too.

My ATIK webcam suffered a little accident (so I discovered) and although I think I have put things right, can't get outside to confirm.

In the meeantime, re-processed my image from the other night as I felt it could do with being a bit more 'natural'. I think the original was compressed too much and this file is a little bigger.

The little accident involved the adhesive holding the camera inside its housing coming away (it is quite an old device and I don't think they do things that way now).

post-13129-13387748907_thumb.jpg

Archived