NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Possible next steps?

Hi everyone,

I have just got my first student job, working part-time in a warehouse. It is not exciting work, but I get £7.50 an hour and only have to work 1 day a week at the weekend, so it is worth it. At this rate, I should get about £60 a week. I can spend this money how I want, and I am interested in the possibilities of a scope upgrade, and would be interested in what you have to recommend as a step up from my Sky-Watcher 130. I would primarily like to increase the aperture (I am not worried about Go-To or any fancy mounts), so are there any good Dobsonians out there that you can recommend? I don't really have a budget, but it must be within reason, i.e. - max. £300.

Thanks.

This one is a very reasonable buy from FLO - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian - its within your budget and a significant step up from your current scope:

Dobsonians

I was going to suggest the 150P but for the little extra aperture you get so much more. Also ask FLO if your membership here qualifies for a small discount on this scope. Or try to get one second hand - there are bargains to be had in the for sale section.

Hope that helps :icon_salut:

This one is a very reasonable buy from FLO - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian - its within your budget and a significant step up from your current scope:

Dobsonians

I was going to suggest the 150P but for the little extra aperture you get so much more. Also ask FLO if your membership here qualifies for a small discount on this scope. Or try to get one second hand - there are bargains to be had in the for sale section.

Hope that helps :o

That looks like a great scope - I would not mind getting one of those! Thanks for the recommendation.

I should have the money after 4 Sundays of work, so I will get saving! I have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind answering:

1. Would I be able to use the 1.25" 2X Barlow I got with my SW130 with the eyepieces and focuser of this scope?

2. How do you track with a Dobsonian mount? Do you just push it, or does it have slow-motion cables?

3. Is it likely that I would be able to fit the SW130's red dot finder to this scope?

Thanks!

1. Would I be able to use the 1.25" 2X Barlow I got with my SW130 with the eyepieces and focuser of this scope?

2. How do you track with a Dobsonian mount? Do you just push it, or does it have slow-motion cables?

3. Is it likely that I would be able to fit the SW130's red dot finder to this scope?

Thanks!

1. Yes

2. Yes, you just nudge it by hand every now and then. There are motorised Dobs but they are a lot more expensive. The idea of a Dob mount is to keep it simple (and therefore cheap). So no slo-mo knobs.

3. Most likely. They are both Skywatcher and probably use the same quick-release shoe. If the current scope has the 2-hole mount, then there are adaptors.

YesYes is pretty well spot on with the answers - and the skywatcher finder shoes are standard on most of their scopes at this level :o

(as far as I know they are all the same but I have to say that in case there's one I'm not aware of lol)

Archived