A SILLY QUESTION....AGAIN

I have the same. If you are looking at any extremely bright object, for example the full moon, it cuts down the light but still presents a good image. Last time I was looking at the moon I used the little hole and a moon filter and it was still a little hard on the eye.

Not sure about solar viewing, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will help you with that. :icon_salut:

Pauly is right it's an aperture mask. The hole is positioned so it is in between the spider vanes and has an unobstructive view, it then increases the focal length. The view is dimmed so you actually do see more.

It can also be used as a solar mask by adding solar film behind it. Be very careful when looking at the sun, and remove your finder from the scope just in case you accidently look through it.

Be VERYcareful with the sun - it has the ability to fry the scope and permanently blind your eye(s). You usually need a special "solar scope" equiped with special filters on the objective lens and on the eyepiece assembly. So please don't point a normal telescope at the sun - you need to know exactly what you're doing :icon_salut:

Archived