NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan handset mounting bracket for Skyliner Auto Dob

At the moment I'm currently upgrading my Skywatcher 12 inch dob telescope, By building levelling base and I've just ordered the quick collimating adjusting screws and a GPS.

But I have one small problem, I've bought the Auto version, but the existing bracket for the auto tracking handset does not fit onto the Synscan handset.

And I'm getting fed up of holding the Synscan handset all the time when I'm observing.

Is there anyone who suggest any ideas where I could buy the Synscan mounting bracket from. :icon_salut:

I know that I could make it but I much prefer to make my telescope look more to the GOTO version.

I know with Meade you can buy spare parts for the whole their telescope range. I'm sure you can do the same with Skywatcher.

Have you looked on astroboot, they sometimes have useful odds and ends.

I've just replaced the feet on mine (10inch) with kitchen cabinet adjustable feet so that I can level it more easily, seems to work ok

How do you find the goto accuracy? I find in just tracking that there's a lot of play in the gears (it tracks ok if instructions are followed to move up and right to an object in the eastern sky and down and right in the western sky), I would have thought that the play would affect the goto accuracy.

• 3 years later...

i have the auto tracking version of yours and never use the bracket - i have a bit of velcro on the back of the handset and a bit on the ota within easy reach whilst at the eyepiece.

I adjust, slo-mo and all that jazz, then just stick the handset to the ota until i need it again.

I have been using Velcro myself but thought it would be handy having the proper bracket. I think the absence of dedicated spare parts for telescopes, mounts and generally anything astronomy related should be addressed by OVL as it's inevitable parts are going to get lost, worn or broken. 

Archived