Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

7mm Nagler, last advice before I buy

Based on what peeps here have said I'm going to go for the 7mm Nagler as my high power eyepiece, mostly for planetary stuff, in my 8" F/5 newtonian. Before I buy it, however, I need a moral boost because it's a lot of money for me. I currently use a 6.3mm 4000 series plossl, and the question I ask is - am I just being greedy, do I really need to get an awesome eyepiece? Convince me to go through with it or otherwise!

I use a 7mm T6 Nagler a lot although it's not getting used quite so much now I've got the 8mm Ethos :icon_salut:

I really like the T6 Naglers which is why I've kept the 7mm - it and the 5mm version are my "staple" high power eyepieces.

There is a large difference between them and standard plossls I feel.

I do tend to agree with perrin6 though that you will need a 5mm as well though.

I really like the T6 Naglers which is why I've kept the 7mm - it and the 5mm version are my "staple" high power eyepieces.

I do tend to agree with perrin6 though that you will need a 5mm as well though.

Sadly this is the last of my "spending money" that I have squirreled away and there won't be any more for some time to come as my wife has just moved on to the unpaid part of her maternity leave so we are trying to leave on beans and toast for a while as we want baby to have as much time with parents as possible. Thusly a 5mm and a 7mm are out of the question, unless Telescope House decide to do me a two for one deal!

Sadly this is the last of my "spending money" that I have squirreled away and there won't be any more for some time to come as my wife has just moved on to the unpaid part of her maternity leave so we are trying to leave on beans and toast for a while as we want baby to have as much time with parents as possible. Thusly a 5mm and a 7mm are out of the question, unless Telescope House decide to do me a two for one deal!

A viable alternative would be the Skywatcher Nirvana 7mm and 4mm which cost signficantly less than the Naglers and offer 90%+ of the performance in my experience.

That would give you 142x and 250x both of which should be useful in your scope.

Just a thought....

Sadly I've read a lot of comments complaining about the Nirvana's internal reflections when used for viewing bright objects like planets which is my prime use for the lens, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate and get one.

Will the 7mm with my Barlow deal with the high mag well enough?

Sadly I've read a lot of comments complaining about the Nirvana's internal reflections when used for viewing bright objects like planets which is my prime use for the lens, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate and get one.

Will the 7mm with my Barlow deal with the high mag well enough?

The barlowed 7mm nagler would give 286x - that's probably a bit too much power for most nights.

I use an Antares 1.6x 2" barlow which works excellently - the 7mm then becomes a 4.4mm which is a useful FL.

I was about to say, a 1.5x barlow would work, but you will reduce your FOV, which isnt a real factor i doubt. But you then need to remember... If you are using the barlow, the viewing is only as good as the barlow and the EP... No point having a great EP and a Cheap barlow...

Correct me if i am wrong though...

HTH

Keiran

Do I then go for the 9mm so I have 9 and 4.5 with the barlow? Though given the price of the Antares barlow and the relative cheapness of the Skywatcher 2" ED barlow that I have would I be sticking the eyepiece into a substandard barlow and negating the point of buying a premium eyepiece?

Looks like we posted at the same time :icon_salut:

Indeed we did, not sure if my Barlow counts as a cheap one though. I'm happy with it with the Aero less so with the Hyperion though. I've read mixed reviews of it as well which doesn't help: some love it some think it is horrible. If only I had enough money to have Televue everything.

I'm leaning more towards just getting the 7mm and waiting till I can afford a 5mm as well (I reckon next winter), just doing without in the mean time. I'm loathed to compromise quality of kit and just replace in time as you end up spending more that way in the long term.

I have a 3 eyepiece setup.

Nagler 7mm and 12mm (T6 and T4) and a Panoptic 27mm. I just add a TeleVue 1.8x Barlow to the mix and I'm able to cover a lot of ground with this setup.

I have an Orion XT10i and I just love the 7mm. It gives an outstanding image of the planets, some planetary nebulae, the moon, you name it.

I understand why you have to think twice before buying it, but you'll not regret that purchase. It's a giant leap from a plossl.

The joy of planning to buy new equipment :icon_salut:.

Cheers

I dont think we get many oportunities in the UK to get over 200x, so i think that the 7mm will be more than capable in your scope giving great views :icon_salut: On those rare occasions that the sky is brilliant you can always try you barlow. :(

IMHO

Archived