I have a bit saved and want to buy my first scope/mount. I have family and friends very entrenched in astronomy, and see them cursing not having spent enough on their first set up and then spending £1000s having to upgrade.

My plan(!) is an ota (Celestron C8 SGT) on either a CGEM mount or an eq6PRO. My thinking is that i could then use the mount for a refractor to go onto photography later on, using the C8 for observation.

Am I mad. Should I just buy an 8" Nexstar SE. and flog it later if I have to?

:)

Nah, you're not mad, from the sound of things you obviously have a very good idea of what you're getting in to.

If you're spending dosh then why not Eq6 and add SW Synguider ttp://firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=166 to it

No PC required autoguider

I love spending other peoples £££s

Enjoy :)

Don't buy an 8" Nexstar SE - the CPC800 is almost the same price (seems to be back on offer again) and seems to be much better.

Celestron CPC 800 GPS Telescope

Bit of a [removed word], as when I missed the offer I started looking at GEMs and refractors for imaging - but now I'm looking at the simplicity of the Alt-Az mount with Celestron's alignment.

Yes - you're definitely mad! Mad about astronomy lol - so it's mad in a good way. All you need is a bit of self control - which none of us have - to stop yourself buying bits you don't need. Familly and friends into astronomy won't help - they're mad too lol :)

You are all a great help. Thank you very much. I went into my local shop and asked for a cure for aperture fever. His cure was to show me £7500.00 worth of kit!!

Sooo .... YOU BOUGHT IT :):hello2:;):hello2::p

Outstanding, please send pictures :D

Chickened out in the end!! Gone for an 8" Nextstar SE. Shop offers a full upgrade refund for 12 months, so 1 have a full year to find my round the sky, then I can ungrade to the EQ6 which most people seem to reckon to be the bee's boll*** for most amateurs.

Thank you so much for you help - you are all bonkers!! - but I like you!!

it's going back!! spent all Saturday putting it together in beautiful sunshine. As soon as it got dark the clouds obscured everything - waste of money.

Seriously - lovely piece of kit. really looking forward to having my nether regions frozen off in the cold clear winter nights.

Archived