Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

got him...m1

Keithp

Hello All, for what feels like the first time since I built the observatory we have clear skies here. It's 02:46, I'm crouched down typing this as I image the Crab Nebula, not done that one yet. I'll post up what I get tomorrow.

Reminder to self, get chair and table next.

I've actually got auto guiding working for the first time so as much as anything it's a test to see what the kit will do.

Next step is eqmod control with the computer

Regards

All

Well the best night I've had in ages, little bit of the fluffy stuff around 01:00 then clear all the way. Still got the roof off letting it evaporate any dew left in there. Close that later.

In the end I went for 4 targets, not so much as a dedicated 1 image all night type of session. So I got M31, M1, M42 and IC434. Thats Andromeda, Crab Nebula, Orion Nebula and the horsehead.

The autoguiding seems to be working well. After I moved to each target it then calibrated itself and was away. Much better than non guided, in DSS very little shift between the stacks as they go together.

I think what puzzled me before was how far back the imaging camera has to be and the timings...course started off on .2 sec loops and found it difficult to locate a guide star. Then it dawned on me upped it to .5 and a lot more became visible...doh!

It's been that long since I've done any post processing I think I'm gonna have to read all the tutorials again. I'll post what I've got a little later after I've had a play. Don't think it will be too good as I didn't really concentrate on one target all night.

Regards

All

Keithp

Here's one of the 300 second exposures of M42. Still working on M1. Although I spent more time on that than any other I'm not getting very good results. Probably need alot more to see any detail my best efforts so far have resulted in a slight orangy smudge with very little detail. Any one else with experience on M1 got any advice.

Regards

All Keithp

post-15528-133877483716_thumb.jpg

Here's a cut from the M1 tiff. No processing after stacking. All as I've done is loaded it into Paint .net to cut this portion out and save as a tiff. Not very good on closer inspection. I think I need some (a lot) more data.

Any one want to have a go a teasing some more out of it?

Regards

Keithp

Cut2_M1.tif

Cheers for that Anthony. I must admit my other suspicion may have dew on the secondary, but I'll certainly give the colimation a once over as well. I had checked it a few nights ago and with it being pier mounted didn't bother this time.

Regards

Keithp

Archived