NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan align with limited star choice?

Having just boxed the streetlamp outside my house it's now dark enough to actually make a little effort and see if i can pull anything decent out of the sky.

My main limitation being that I can see only between, NNW - SE.

Any suggestions on stars for the alignment from this small vantage point?

Cheers.

I've just done a really good alignment with Vega, Deneb and Altair. If you can see Cassiopeia you can use Shedir.

I usually open Stellarium (if you don't have it you can download it for free - just google it) and have a look at the best stars for me.

Hope that helps.

I find this software can be handy

Best Pair.. It chooses the best 2 stars for you depending on the time and date. ;-)

Matt

ps ... the 2 or 3 star align procedure doesn't assist you with exposure lengths. It only teaches the synscan a map of the sky for slewing to a target. Polar alignment is the key to longer exposures

Yup Matt mate, my polar alignment leaves a little to be desired but I'm sure i'd have gotten it a lot tighter if i had set up earlier and not had to worry about getting up for work in the morning.

That said, I've got a couple of hours to squeeze a little more out.... might check m81 for a bit n see what i can nab from her.

Thanks for the link also, will have a nose at that :)

Archived