Need some EP buying advice please.

Hi all.

I'm looking for an ep to initially replace my 25mm ep that came with my scope, but I don't want to spend a fortune on one. I am aware of the obvious sw, baader, tv high-end eps, and have looked on the 'for sale' section of this site and on astrobuysell, but haven't seen anything in particular. :eek:

I would like this ep mainly for general viewing as I have already invested in a baader genuine ortho for planetary use.

So I turn my attention to the experienced members of this site for some help and advice. I have about £60-£70 to spend and would welcome any recommendations for a sw st 4" f/5 refractor.

Thank you.

:D

If you can find one, the Meade SWAs being sold off in the States are stunning value for money - either the 20mm or 24mm would be ideal (very near Panoptic performance, comfortably under your budget).

If not, then the 21mm Hyperion would seem an obvious candidate, turn up quite frequently used and should be in your budget. Or what about a quality Plossl in the 20-32mm range?

Don't rush! If you are happy with the eye relief on the 7.5mm BGO then you'll be able to use most eyepieces.

Maybe you should consider a Televue 25mm Plossl which will be a definite improvement on your current eyepiece and have around the same field of view (or a bit more maybe the TV has 50 degrees) than the BGO (I think this has 40 degrees?).

The advantage of this compared with some of the cheaper options is that you will get edge to edge sharpness in your scope.

I bet if you place a wanted ad and wait a while you'd pick one up for £50.

The Baader Hyperions are also excellent by all accounts and give you a wider field but won't be as sharp at the edge of the extra field as the TV Plossl.

If you can handle a few seagulls at the edge of the field then your options really open up and you could consider the WO SWANs William Optics - William Optics SWAN eyepiece which are nice but would go a bit soft at the edges in your scope.

Meade Series 5000 20mm 1.25 inch Eyepiece SWA 07665 on eBay (end time 06-Oct-10 20:24:29 BST) was pointed out to me. Its in your budget and the UK retaillers sell em for close to 180 quid :D

He's who I got my 20mm from. I offered $55, with postage it was something like £45 delivered. Brilliant, brilliant eyepiece for that money. 95% of a 19mm Panoptic

Archived