NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What do you think would b good for viewing in the eastern sky tonight?

Oh well, I only just read this post, so I'm a little late to reply. A quick check on stellarium (if you haven't got this remarkable freebie, download it now - it's a must!: http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=474.0 ) has revealed a few good targets for tonight in eastern skies. I'm just a beginner too, but these are what I've been looking for so far and woudl recommend them:

Starting early, see the moon, which should be at around 20* by 6pm. It's almost full, but you should get some nice detail with a strong moon filter.

Later on it will be dark enough to try and see some Cassiopeia objects (easy to find if you're a beginner, a squint W almost overhead). The three middle stars of the W are apparently double stars. There are also some clusters to be seen in Cassiopeia, but these might be tricky to find.

Try for M31, our neighbour galaxy, Andromeda.

And certainly take a look at my favourite cluster: M45, the Pleiades, or Seven Sisters. It's an unmistakable cluster of 9 or so bright stars which should be quite high in the east at 9pm.

That would be my verdict. Hope you find that useful, but there again, I'm 24 hours out.

Definitely try Stellarium. That was my only source of info for just now.

AstroPhethean

Archived