NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

5 moons of Jupiter or just a star?

Hi All

I've got back in after looking at Jupter in my 60mm 900mm Refractor with 17mm eyepiece, me and the missus both counted five moons on Jupter, two being really close together, my question is was it a fifth moon we've seen or is it a star that just looks like it could be a moon in the same area? I did manage to make out the band on the top half of the planet but couldn't see the GRS which I was hoping for, am I being a bit ambitious to see it with this scope?

Also had a try for Uranus but not sure as i found a couple of dots of light but don't really know how different it would look in a basic scope like mine? Can you see the moons of it or do you need some serious kit first?

By the way the scope is made by Teleskop Service and was bought for me as a gift second hand

Much thankings in advance:hello2:

Matt

I also noticed this tonight. I've got a reflector so bearing in mind what I saw was upside down but, as you say, there were 2 moons close together just to the left, of the disc, then another much further off to the left. I counted 2 on the right, one fairly close and another, that had the appearance of a moon (a pinprick of light) a bit further out.

If it was a moon, it looks to have been Themisto or Carpo, the only other 2 that are isolated but I don't know anything about their orbiting patterns.

After the Callisto, Europa, Io and Ganymede, the next brightest of Jupiters 60+ moons is around 14th magnitude - I've seen a 13th mag supernova with a 12" scope from a dark sight once - and that was at the limit.

I strongly suspect the 5th moon here is a background star.

The planet was looking good all the same - the Great Red Spot was nicely on display in my 6" scope.

I've just had a look at Stellarium and it looks like it is a star HIP118293 (If that is a star!)

We saw one on the right, two really close in together on the left and two further out on the left (looking through the scope so left is right and right is left)

Did you get the GRS Mike in yours?

Almost definitely not gonna see something at 14th mag in mine then!!!

especially with all my neighbours lights and streetlights ruining it all!

Is there any chance of getting the GRS or will I need a bigger 'scope? Did try with a 10mm EP but couldn't focus enough to even make out the band just a fuzzy disc!

Thanks peoples

After the Callisto, Europa, Io and Ganymede, the next brightest of Jupiters 60+ moons is around 14th magnitude - I've seen a 13th mag supernova with a 12" scope from a dark sight once - and that was at the limit.

I strongly suspect the 5th moon here is a background star.

The planet was looking good all the same - the Great Red Spot was nicely on display in my 6" scope.

^^^If it's a sky watcher 10mm EP, not a chance! You'd be better off with piece of frosted bathroom window!

Agreed Yeti..the 10mm is really poor... look to replace this as soon as circumstances allow you too...you are better off barlowing the 25mm than using the 10mm..

I saw the same, I was going to consult stellarium today - thanks for saving me the time!

I caught uranus in the same field of view as jupe and it's moons. which was nice, along with what I think was the GRS - more of a faint grey smudge really!!

All my EPs are Plossl and I've been told these are the best to go for without taking out another mortgage! I've got a 20mm,17mm & a 10mm, the 3 x barlow I have is pretty cheap n nasty so I leave it indoors, there is a 1.5 erecting thingy but looks of same quality as the barlow so that stays indoors aswell.

I've also just realised I made a bit of a schoolboy error as I was looking on the wrong side of Jupiter for Uranus, (I was looking on the right and it would've been on the left in my scope) still very much a beginner at this and this was the first time I've had the scope out in a long while, Oh well live and learn eh!

Archived